JST plays a central role in Japan's Science and Technology Basic Plan. Based on science and technology targets issued by the government we fund basic research, commercialization of new technologies, distribution of science and technology information, and in recent years promote international joint research and the fostering of next generation human resources.Our comprehensive contribution stimulates real progress in science and technology and helps tackle a variety of social issues.
- The Science and Technology Basic Plan, based on the Science and Technology Basic Law enacted in November 1995, aims to comprehensively and systematically advance Japan's science and technology policy. The government formulates the basic plan based on forecasts for the next decade, putting into effect science and technology policies over a 5-year period.
JST is currently seeking applicants for researcher positions (full time) at Miraikan.
Researcher (full time)
Research activities on the accessibility domain based on AI (software and hardware development, paper publication, presentations to academic societies)
- Application qualifications (requirements)
Candidates should have a background and research skills in one of the following areas, and be able to apply themselves to research and development in the accessibility domain with a high level of motivation.
- AI domain such as computer vision or voice interaction
- HCI (Human Computer Interaction) domain such as cognitive science or interaction design
- Robotics domain
- Must have obtained a Ph.D. (or possess equivalent research skills or experience).
- Must possess basic computer programming knowledge and skills.
- Must have English language competency as required for research activities, such as survey, writing research papers, debating, and giving presentations at academic conferences.
- Priority given to those who have had a paper selected for an international symposium in the relevant field. E.g.: ACM Assets, ACM CHI, ACM UIST, CVPR, etc.
- Single year contract
- Renewal of contract for the next and subsequent years is possible if deemed necessary based on the condition of HR evaluations by JST.
- Contract may be renewed a maximum of four times.
Further contract renewal may be deemed possible only when work performance is evaluated particularly excellent. In such cases, the limit to contract renewal shall follow the JST regulations.
- However, contracts also may not be renewed due to program cancellation, national budgetary considerations, or other reasons.
- Trial period
Three (3) months
- Job location
The Miraikan (2-3-6 Aomi, Koto City, Tokyo)
- 100% remote work is not allowed. Applicants must be able to commute to the work location.
- However, may include work related business trip as necessary.
- Working hours
Full time (five (5) days per week)
Discretionary labor system applies (one day counted as 7.5 hours)
- Days off/vacation
Two (2) full days off per week (Saturday, Sunday), national holidays, year end/New Years, annual paid leave, etc.
- Health & welfare, internal programs
- Leave or reduced hours for childcare, leave or reduced hours for family care (some requirements apply)
- Mutual Aid program (enrollment optional, includes welfare facility use, support for club activities, various allowances, packaged welfare services, etc.)
- Smoking prohibited on the premises (except in outdoor smoking area)
- Yearly salary *Salary determined according to JST standards based on factors such as experience and performance.
- Commutation allowance provided according to JST regulations.
- Health Insurance (The Science and Technology Health Insurance Society), Welfare Pension Insurance, Science and Technology Corporate Pension Fund, Employment Insurance, Worker’s accident Compensation Insurance
- Qualifications to apply for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research-KAKENHI- available
- Details on other labor requirements will be explained at the interview (for those who passed CV selection)
- Start date
Starting May 1, 2021 (negotiable)
- Once hired, researchers may be required to commute to the office even during a State of Emergency.
- Number of positions
Approximately five (5)
- Selection method
- Screening of the documents
- Interview (assume two (2) times)
- Only those who pass the 1) above will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Interviews may be carried out online in some cases. (Please consult us upon application if you do not have access to an Internet connection.)
- For face to face interviews, applicants must be able to visit the facility on the designated date. (May be delayed by measures to control the COVID-19 Pandemic.)
- Transportation to and from interviews will be at the expense of the applicant.
- We cannot respond to questions or inquiries regarding applicant selection.
- Applicants will be notified of the selection outcome individually by email, etc.
- How to apply
Applicants must contact us via the [Inquiries] contact form below beforehand to receive the URL where the application should be submitted. (Direct application by email is not permitted.)
- Required documents
The following documents must be submitted as digital files prepared in Microsoft Word or Excel except for 3 below.
(Both Japanese and English are accepted.)
- Resumé, research history, overview of experience (Curriculum vitae). Format up to the applicant. *Attach a photo and email address.
- List of research *URL only is acceptable for published research.
- Copy of representative research papers (one copy each of two papers) *URL only is acceptable for published research.
- Aspirations if hired (in about 1,000 Japanese characters or 500 words) *Applicants should include self promotion in this section.
- Contact information for two (2) personal references (affiliated organization, email address, telephone number)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (must be signed by person providing recommendation) *English is allowed for foreign applicants.
- Application period
Selection will be made on an ongoing basis, and applications will close when all hiring has been decided.
- Employer, where to submit application, inquiries
Japan Science and Technology Agency
Applicants shall email to an adress designated by JST to submit documents.
- We cannot respond to questions or inquiries regarding applicant selection.
- Regarding personal information
Any personal information collected will be used only for the purpose of hiring-related tasks and shall not be used for any other purpose or shared or disclosed with any third party.
The documents submitted for the application shall only be used for applicant selection and shall be disposed of at a time and in a manner deemed appropriate by JST after selection is complete.
Application documents will not be returned. However, application documents submitted by those accepted for hiring may be used as part of documents that must be submitted for hiring purposes.
- Any details on labor conditions not listed here will be explained during the interview (for those who pass the document selection step).
Candidates who are selected will be required to submit the following information for purposes of direct hire by JST.
- My Number ※1
- Copy of Residency Card ※2
- In addition to 2) above, applicants will be required to submit a list of emergency contacts (including the applicant and third parties) for use in the event of an accident or emergency at the job location.
- 1 My Number is specified under Article 2 of the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in Administrative Procedures (Act No. 27 of 2013). My Number information will be collected by a consignee of JST after hiring.
- 2 Only foreign applicants must submit to verify their current status of residence and authorized residency period.